The West Des Moines Historical Society is dedicated to the mission of historic preservation and to educate public about our historic sites in Central Iowa. Thanks to a recent grant of $7,500 from the MidAmerican Energy Foundation, WDMHS will continue to preserve and protect our two landmark properties.
The Jordan House, a stately Victorian home of Italianate Gothic design, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a member of the National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom Program. It is one of the oldest structures in Polk Country and the oldest in West Des Moines.
The Bennett School, built in 1926 or 1927, was one of the last one room schools to be built in West Des Moines and is used today to inform and educate students and adults about life and education in the late 19th and early 20th century.
Thanks to the MidAmerican Energy Foundation funds, the WDMHS will be able to continue Phase II renovation projects, including repairs on porch columns and floors at the Jordan House, followed by repainting this circa 1850s building. These repairs are scheduled to begin as soon as the weather allows in 2017, with the goal of being completed by the fall.
These two historic buildings require constant maintenance, and not just the projects that can be seen from the outside. In the past year the WDMHS has updated HVAC systems, improved lighting and alarm systems, repaired windows and resided the Bennett School, thanks to the support of organizations like the MidAmerican Energy Foundation. These funds not only preserve and protect the buildings, but allow the Society to put financial resources towards special events and educational programs. The generous donation from MidAmerican Energy Foundation will greatly aid the mission and vision of the West Des Moines Historical Society.