The Forever Free Mentoring Internship is a unique opportunity for a college student to participate in a research project with the ultimate goal of adding 2 new sites to the National Park Service’s Network to Freedom (NTF), recognizing sites and individuals of significance who were part of the Underground Railroad. Students will have the responsibility of working with local mentors and writing a complex nomination, gaining experience in critical thinking, analytical writing and preservation. Students who successfully have their site accepted into the NTF will receive a $500 stipend.
Applications are due May 30, 2022.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong interpersonal skills.
● Ability to be self-directed and work independently while also working as part of a team.
● Ability to handle multiple tasks, set priorities and deadlines, and maintain accurate records.
● Problem solving skills, including the ability to resolve conflicts and recommend an appropriate course of action.
● Proficiency with Microsoft Office software.
Candidates are encourage to apply via the online form
West Des Moines Historical Society
PO Box 65563
West Des Moines, IA 50265
Attn: Gale Brubaker